Title Companies Don't Need Us

Cheers. Thanks. All I can do is try. If it happens, it happens. If it doesn’t, it doesn’t.

The two fisted notary!

These student make these 10K claims but I haven’t witness any invoices or stubs showing their income for that given month. It’s a guy in Alabama who I dominated on video making 10K claims and never submitted any invoices of his signings for a given month. He makes 10K but no longer have his website on Google. He was just marketing to capture more potential signing agent for Alabama. I was once in the program but ditched it. This guy was a huge lair and never submitted his earnings to certify his pay.

1 Like

It’s a tough business to break into wherever you are, Noble - that’s just a fact of life.

I’m in Western WA, which is swamped with eager newbies all battering down the doors of every title company - so much that most of them have retreated to the safety of Snapdocs, where they put those of us they have been using for years on their preferred status and have access to a pile of others if they need them. But I have a number of good solid clients who still prefer to call me when they need a signing agent (bless their hearts).

My suggestion? I have a solid business plan. However, again, my area is swamped by newbies. And maybe this makes me a bad person, but I don’t feel it’s necessary to feed the competition.

Feel free to email me via Notary Cafe. Tennessee is far enough away - I’d give you a hint or two.

3 Likes

Hi, I was watching these Mark Wills videos and I only have the stomach to see only one and a half of the other, in the first that woman claims making " six signings today,(took time to shoot the video with Mark) and then go to finish the seventh, Super NSA Agent Movie, well directed, she never took her eyes from the left part of the screen, and other guy spending 35, yes 35 years working for UPS, I just stop watching because i wanted to puke, let me tell you something the only video that rally inspired me years back was the one where Ms. Carol Ray show us how to conduct a signing, That’s it!

2 Likes

Did you see my post on the thread: “Temper your expectations?”

Your sentiment echoes mine, Mannie. :sparkles::sunglasses::tulip:

See this link: Temper your expectations

3 Likes

I see it this way, as long as there are Signing Services out there, which there’s a lot, its easy for Title companies to go through them, you have to work your way to become a preferred signing agent, and eventually, they might hire you, but title companies have loyalty to these signing services as well.

5 Likes

It is absolutely very possible to make 6 figures with or without Mark Wills or any of the other Courses out there (personally I recommend Notary2Pro) which greatly helped me. No one is addressing where the majority of all of the work comes from (or at least most of mine and others out there that I know) and that is NOT the local Title offices directly ( I see a lot of local Title Office work through the Signing Agencies) You need to work with the Large National Title Companies who DO NOT HAVE LOCAL OFFICES and therefore need Field Signing Agents and some of the large National Servicing Companies all of whom you need to approach through their Websites and Vendor Management Programs.

7 Likes

just so many answers and so, so many perfect people. I take what is offered at a price that is fair and go on about my day. Pretty easy and have fun doing it at the same time.

6 Likes

That was very well said. I try to say the same thing but it just doesn’t come out the right way for me haha.

Thanks. I actually left Personal Banking. I’d be interested in private wealth management or something but apparently working at a local bank isn’t impressive on your resume. As a college educated millennial, I’m a part of a large group of super educated people who can’t find work that pays a living wage to save my life. My last banking job was paying $20/hr. I made more as a bartender in San Francisco ($40/hr). That’s why this job attracted me.

You mention Robin Schmidt? Do you have a website or something to include?

I definitely feel you on the two seconds, I find that amazing that I miss so many signings because I am so called not quick enough, especially these last two weeks, I am guessing business was slow because there was a holiday at the end of May but last week was slow as well and we will see about this week starting 6/6/2021. It frustrating

2 Likes

Thanks for the information, I am also in TN, Shelby county and it has really been slow the last two weeks, after reading your story I see where they don’t need us, they only use us with a Signing Service and as of the last two weeks, even this has been extremely slow.

In the past 4 years I’ve only done 10-15 signings for a couple of local title companies here in TX. The only time a local T.C. hires a signing agent is when the borrower cannot take time off work during business hours or if they have some kind of circumstance that prevents them from coming in to the title office, which is pretty rare. Local Title Companies are not a good target market for a signing agent.

You’re best bet is to go after one’s that don’t have a local office. I’ve done thousands of closings and over time you get insight into some valuable market data. For example, I live in South Texas, but I have dozens of title companies on my roster from all the metropolitan areas in Texas. Why? Because people are visiting or working in my area, but they’re selling, buying or refinancing homes that are too far away for a simple 1 hour closing. That’s when I get the calls. Good luck!

4 Likes

@noblenotary615 I am in Clarksville and I am doing well. I would suggest signing up with more directories and making sure your GMB page is up and running. Most of the work I get is from out of state clients and a few in state ones. Also how far are you willing to travel? Are you just doing Nashville or are you venturing out to neighboring counties?

Hey. I’m doing Davidson County and the surrounding counties. But, I mean, these signing services don’t have much work. I’ve gotten two alerts for signings in 3 weeks. Two. And I’m in the largest city in TN… So, if that’s what the largest city in TN has then something else is going on. Not to mention the housing market in Nashville is BOOMING. So, I’m very confused.

1 Like

Dear Noble, I can’t speak about California but I can about Michigan where I am located Bare with me here… I have a long history of being a notary, and legal secretary so that works in my favor. That is what makes me stand out from the rest, you need to do that when marketing yourself. What makes you better, why do I want to hire you? Don’t worry about always being available, what makes your talents/skills above the rest? Know your state notary laws, join a local notary FB page, there are tons of them out there. Find a good mentor. Doesn’t have to be a notary, it should be a successful business person.

I paid for the #1 spot on 123notary.com the rest is history. I picked a county near me, away from the traffic and congestion. There is not a single major city in that county, but there sure is a lot of business.

I fight five mile freight trains, not traffic! LOL I have learned the back roads so I’m not all stressed when I have to take a different route. gI have been nibbled on by a goat, done closings in barns next to a John Deere, but in the end I got paid, and it was interesting! I often get paid more because I’m willing to go to Tim-buck-two!

Are you willing to drive a little farther, take a little less pay till you prove yourself to the SS? These are all sacrifices the successful ones have taken to get where they are today.

I get calls from law firms and OUT OF STATE title companies that need me in this area. I have repeat business with all of them. I never talked to any local title companies, I have enough work.

So maybe approach it a different manner. Think outside of CA, think about a title company that needs to find you to do their closings because they are in another state? I feel your frustration, it takes time, it doesn’t happen over night. And lots more signing services, you have barely touched the tip of the iceberg.

Just be careful of the pay to play where it s a subscription like signing service. Those are a scam. I’m talking sites where you have a listing and the out of towners are someone in your area! They are out there. But you have to put yourself out there so they can find you!

Don’t be discouraged. Work on your Linkedin profile. You can do a lot on there for free! Sandra Long is the guru in that area she is speaking today at the NNA 2021 Virtual Conference. She has a great ‘course’ to help build your profile and you don’t pay a dime to Linkedin! Sandra charges but it is reasonable for all the support and mentoring she gives you, one on one!

When I pounce on those text messages, and don’t get the assignment, I know something better and that pays more will come along. It always does.

Do you do GNW? You can have free listings on YELP, Google Biz and Thumbtack and that might help. I get lots of calls from Yelp. They are close by, quick, pay isn’t great, but if its close by it’s better than nothing to fill in the holes in your schedule.

Mark Wills is not everyone’s style. Try Bill Saroka, Sign and Thrive, or Laura Biewer…just google their names…you will see who is a better match to be a teacher/mentor.

Henry Ford summed it up when he said…“If you think you can, you are right, if you think you can’t, you are right.”

6 Likes

@noblenotary615 I get signings for your area all the time. You may want to check your profiles on the signing services platforms or email the contact email address to see if there may be a missing item. I’m part time and I get almost 30 signings a month from both SS and Direct two of which are in Nashville.

2 Likes

Don’t be discouraged. A no means only not now. Take away should be that you need to offer them something and not give them the feeling that you want to take something. You can offer closings at a location AND time convenient to the client. Be an add on, point that out. You can be there when the majority of their staff is on vacation or sick. You are flexible and most of all professional. Keep plugging and you will find that way in.

2 Likes