What do you LIKE about your NOTARY HANDBOOK?

I’m in Virginia, where our fee is $5; our Handbook is slim, and our maxium fee hasn’t been updated in many years. The Handbook seems to be missing so many important pieces. It looks like I have a State Delegate who is open to hearing how it can be improved upon and I have about eight months to get it all together. Is there something unique about your own state’s notary laws or Handbook that you appreciate? Do you like the detail it provides; is it the layout you like; does it cover every possible notarial act; does it provide information that is really helpful, something you can show your signers if you need to?

I’d appreciate whatever input you have. And yes, I’ve put up posts in my notary FB groups asking for input from other VA notaries, and not one has replied. I feel like no one really cares. If you’re in VA and have questions about notary law that you can’t find answers to, please let me know.

Here are a couple of references you might find helpful:

Signing Professionals Workgroup material (SPW)
NNA - U.S. Notary Reference

2 Likes

Thank you, Bobby! I didn’t know that US Notary Reference existed. I’ll have to read through that.
And I have the copy of the SPW Code of Conduct, but did not know the Signing Presentation Guidelines existed either, so thank you very much!

June

VT does not have a notary handbook, and there is no sign that one is being prepared. Since VT has passed the Revised Uniform Law on Notarial Acts, I can look at handbooks from other states that have passed it, keeping in mind there can be some differences.

The area I find poorly defined is exactly how to tell the difference between a verification on oath or affirmation compared to an other oath or affirmation. It appears I am not required to check the identity for the latter act. Also, there is no short form certificate specified for other oaths or affirmations. Finally, I’m required to complete a notarial certificate for purely oral oath or affirmation, but the law does not specify who I should give it to; there is no document to attach it to.

While not unique, it is advisable that the handbook address travel fees/charges as that is a pain point in many states. Some say nothing; others have ridiculously low allowable fee–like 35 cents/mi.; some think they’re quite clever by saying ‘allowable IRS mi. rate’ (which might pay your car expenses, but not your time traveling); The best option for trave fee is ‘mutually agreed upon fee’.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.