Your thoughts?!

It seems that signing companies want notaries to accept orders blindly without countering the low fee offers. They don’t want realize that we are in a hazardous profession. A few weeks ago I went to a refinance signing. Signer was an older gentlemen, seemed pleasant. I was threatened during the signing. I was able to defuse the situation due to my previous skills and put it behind me. However, the singing services are low balling the fees and having attitudes when you are trying to get the fair pay for the job. Meanwhile, some of these services are holding payment as ransom. Please tell me your thoughts. Have you ran into similar situations? How have you resolved them?

1 Like

I’ve certainly had a few situations where the individuals and/or signing conditions were shaky or less than desirable. But, I don’t equate that with a fee issue. We accept the assignments blindly. It is up to us to weigh our value and the fact that we are venturing into the unknown, no matter how much we are being paid. Unless signing services/schedulers have ever worked as mobile notaries, you are correct that they probably have little understanding of what we do and all that we encounter in the field. We are in the driver’s seat on this issue and we choose to accept those low fees and the questionable conditions that may come with them. Until all of us are on the same page about our value – you get what you pay for (conversely – are being paid for)!!!

5 Likes

Yes, they are two different issues. However, I feel like they should be made aware of the situation.

Gee whiz, man, how is being a notary a “hazardous profession”? (Incidentally, how did the old guy threaten you?). It is more hazardous these days to walk down a busy street in the city or wait for a train in the subway.

What do you want the signing services to do for you? How would they adjust fees to offset your concern about the once-in-a-year “threat” from someone who needs your services? I’m really curious as to what you want in your post - more money? Security?

Holding payment as “ransom”? What does that mean? Ransom is something that you have to pay to get something that was taken from you returned safely. Nobody holds your fees ransom.

What do you want the signing services to be made aware of? Do you really think they don’t know that sometimes funky things happen? What do you want them to do? If you feel “threatened”, pack up your stuff and leave. Why risk your safety? No fee is worth it.

I wonder, sometimes.

2 Likes

I will gladly answer this question. We want full disclosure. We want to know how much we will get paid, when we will get paid, how we will get paid. We want to know what number we can call if there are any issues during the signing. We want to know what will happen if the signer does not want to sign. We need to know what will happen if we print docs and the signing is cancelled. We want to know what will happen if the person mid sign has a heart attack and has to go to the ambulance, or if we are dealing with a divorced pair who can’t agree on the numbers, or if the signer is angry at the notary because we look like a family member that they don’t like. Let us know what will happen in worst case scenarios concerning payment and policy. that is all.

2 Likes

“We want to know what will happen if the person mid sign has a heart attack and has to go to the ambulance, or if we are dealing with a divorced pair who can’t agree on the numbers, or if the signer is angry at the notary because we look like a family member that they don’t like.”

Do you really think the signing service handles all that? Of course, you’re entitled to know the fee and when you’ll get paid. That’s a given. The rest of that stuff you listed? Not likely. If you’re confronted or surprised with a situation that goes beyond what you’re being paid for, I’d suggest you just courteously leave. If there is a medical emergency that transpires in front of you, I’d suggest you do what any good citizen/humanitarian do and render any help you are capable of.

If you’re dealing with arguing divorced people and it doesn’t immediately settle down, just leave. I wonder why you feel you might need to do anything more or otherwise blame it on some signing company who has no idea what’s happening.

You’re a notary, not a marriage counselor, clinician, minister or policeperson.

7 Likes

“You’re a notary, not a marriage counselor, clinician, minister or policeperson.”
Yes, I agree with you.

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve ever been threatened. Should that occur, I have the option of leaving the signing table, calling law enforcement, etc. The signing companies are trying to make a profit just as we are. Some negotiations are successful and some aren’t; that’s just business. We have the option of terminating our relationship with a company which is no longer a match for our business model. That’s one of the advantages of self employment.

1 Like

Many of these eventualities are covered in the contract and/or disclosures which are provided when we initially sign up with a signing service.

Thank you all for your thoughts. This was the first time I’ve ever been in a situation alike in this profession. It was not expected. I know going into a strangers’ home can be risky. I felt I was safe nonetheless. I just wanted to know if anyone has been in a situation such as this.

Interesting…

I have never personally been threatened at a signing, no. But, if I was, I would leave immediately and never look back haha. As you alluded to, the prices signing services are offering these days aren’t anywhere near enough to get me to try and stay through drama.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.