Closing Agent signature

Is Closing Agent synonymous for Signing Agent?

A page in the front of the package provides instructions for shipping docs and scan backs with a place for Closing Agent signature and phone number. Do I sign here?

1 Like

We are NOT Closing Agents …BUT some will use that term interchangeably with Signing Agent, so you kinda have to look at the context of the document before just willy-nilly signing everywhere. From your description of the doc in question, it sounds like, yes, they want you to sign this as it seems to contain ‘instructions for a notary’. Beside that, they would know the actual Closing Agent’s phone #, but not yours. If you sign it and they didn’t want your signature, they can always print another copy for the ‘real’ Closing Agent to sign.

4 Likes

Thank you. That is what I thought also. I appreciate your reply.

1 Like

I always get confused with SETTLEMENT AGENT, CLOSING AGENT and NOTARY AGENT (lender’s NOTARY AGENT)
I already know that SETTLEMENT AGENT is the lender’s

Good advice. I needed that one too. :grinning:

1 Like

In the beginning stages of being a NSA, I would get confused too. I found out quickly that the only time we sign is when we see the term “notary”. Also, you can tell what are the notarial sections when you read the verbiage. I’ve learned it is imperative to study my state laws as a notary bc it really helps to understand your role and responsibility!

Yes! Very important to read and understand the verbiage, and understand your state’s notarial laws.

We are signing Agent

Not long ago I did a refinance where most papers read closing agent, even where my signatures were supposed to be… I spent good part of the signing texting the escrow agent and asking. Even her was confused… whoever prepared the docs didn’t properly did, but if I would had done one single mistake it would have costed me part of the fee and maybe a complaint.

1 Like