Customer Rights to Notary Selection

Hello everyone. I am a little perplexed as to how I should respond to this rebuff and could use some thoughts from seasoned professionals.

A good friend of mine is buying a home. They have opened an escrow account with a local title company and have asked that I be the notary to notarize their loan package documents. I contacted the title company to notify them of their request and they responded telling me that corporate policy requires them to only use a particular signing service that has been vetted through their corporate office. I am an independent mobile notary and trained LSA. I stopped accepting assignments through signing agencies due to their high performance costs and low reimbursement rates. This is the second time I have encountered this response. The first time I was able to work with the signing company because I was already registered with them, however, I am not with this one and I really don’t want to be.

Have you encountered a rebuff like this? Am I correct in understanding that my friend has the right to use any notary he chooses regardless of title company policy? I don’t want to alienate the title company but I am tempted to remind them of this right, if I am correct. How would you respond to this title company? Your thoughts are appreciated.

1 Like

Your friend must tell title that she wants to use you or she can use another title co who will use you. Happened to me last week and title complied with no problem . Plus from that I gained another title to work with, they added me to their approved notary panel.
Don’t be afraid to be assertive and push them with a smile!

This is your chance! Don’t lose this deal!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.