DMV boat title

Good evening. I have a customer who asked me to notarize an out of state boat title (I’m in NC, they’re in NC, their boat is still in OH where they used to live). They are giving the boat to the Marina where it is docked so they can sell it or do whatever they want to with it, as they don’t want to pay to have it shipped here (old, used up boat). I’ve asked that they have the seller portion completely filled out as to who they are selling it to exactly as that is what I was trained to do for DMV titles, but she said the marina doens’t know who they’re selling it to and that the marina said to just sign in and get notarized and they’ll fill that all out when they sell it. So technically that seems like just a transfer of ownership, not a boat sell but either way, do they have to fill out the who their selling it to part in this situation? I assume they do because they’re still transferring the title out of their name and to someone else for liability reasons at the very least. Anyone know the actual law on this? Would this go by NC law or Ohio law? I’m assuming Oh because we’re all trained to research the notary laws for the state the document is going to but I’m so confused on this one. Thank you in advance.

The dealer knows who the seller is, its your client. The dealer doesn’t know who the buyer is. I many states the seller hands over the keys and title for the dealer to handle. At least this is is the way usually handled for automobiles.

Boats may be a different situation.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.