Estate Planning

Dear Team,

I am based in Texas. Can someone please advise, on an Estate planning docs signing? This will be the first one for me. A lawyer is supposed to be present via Zoom. The client will have documents.
Are there any steps or information I should be familiar with/aware of ? How should I conduct myself ?
Thank you in advance.

Best Wishes,

Emile

Excellent preparatory query. These types of signings are quite straightforward, Emile.

In my direct experience over a number of years, most attorneys strongly desire to facilitate the entire process; i.e., want the Notary to be seen, but not heard. Of course, it’s their client & is understandable.

You’ll want to place them under oath [meet state requirements] if the attorney hasn’t already done so, have them log into your Notarial Journal [meet state requirements], and provide them with an appropriate writing utensil of the correct ink color [unless the attorney has already done so].

Normally, the certified notary signing agent [CNSA] role is as the lead/facilitator of the signing appointment; however, for the Estate Planning signing appointment it’s more of a ‘support’ or general Notary role.

1 Like

Good Morning cNsa5,

Thank you very much for the feedback and pertinent information.

Best Wishes,

Emile

1 Like

@Nsa5,

The signing well very and it was exactly as you stated/advised. Thank you again.

1 Like

Estate Planning signings are becoming a mainstay in my GNW. Continue to maintain the relationship with these lawyers as they can keep you busy. If the lawyer likes what you do, they’ll refer you to their colleagues.

@RiverpointeTax,

Thank you very much for this information. It is good to know.
Yesterday was my first one, but I hope to do more in the future.
Best Wishes

1 Like

Interesting. What was the pay for one/

@JohnM-FL,

Sorry for the delayed response. Got overtaken by so many things the last few days. The pay was $150.00 This was the first time for me , doing an Estate Planning signing. I hope it was a good rate , but was it was a good learning experience.
Best Wishes

Emile

2 Likes

I think you did fine. Sure beats $90 from an SS. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Hello @Everyone,

I just search our platform in hopes of getting more information about Estate Planning. And I came across this posting. Any information is helpful

I was contacted a few days ago by a husband who wants himself and his wife estate planning to get notarized. This is very new for me, I do not know what should I expect, any ideas? How much should I charge? I had asked for the husband to send (email) me the documents. His EP is 64 pages, about 11 notarial stamps needed plus 11 areas for the witness x2 to sign. His wife EP was 44 pages (or could be 64 pages as well, couldn’t remember), she needed about the same amount of notarial stamp as well plus the witnesses x 2 to sign. They are over a half an hour ride from my location.

I am not sure should I charge $150, ec or what? I do want to be fair, but I do not want to under charge. I am not sure if I need to notarize the witness signature as well. Can I charge for this?

Can someone recommend a course, if any? Again, any information will be helpful

Please and thank you!

Sonia
Pennsylvania
Notary On Wheelz
570-793-1834

@Sonia Well, from what I see from reading your notary laws, you in PA can charge $5 per acknowledgement or jurat = so if each has 11, that’s 22 notarizations - that’s $110 right there.

Now take into account your travel time and distance. Then think about your time - your heaviest investment here is going to be your table time - this package is pretty extensive and you’re going to invest a significant amount of time in journaling and obtaining signatures.

Personally, IMO, $150 is you being very generous for the amount of time and work you’re going to be putting into this. I think this is worth at least $200.

Best of luck

P.S. Want to add here - keep in mind that, due to the serious nature of these documents, while with these clients getting this package executed, it would be wise to not answer your phone - so while you’re with them, that’s going to be an hour or two that you are unavailable to possibly pick up other work.

2 Likes

@LindaH-FL,

Thank you for getting back to me! I appreciate your insight. I was think of the same amount to charge. But just uncertain if I should charge $200 each (totaling $400) or for both (totaling $200)?

Would you know any materials I can look more into the “Estate Planning”?

If anyone else will like to share their thoughts, please do so. The more the merrier

Thank you,

Sonia
Pennsylvania
Notary On Wheelz
570-793-1834

I meant $200 for both but I’m in an area where people don’t even want to pay $10 for the notarization, never mind paying me to drop everything RIGHT NOW!!! and travel to them

Estate Planning is a very complex matter - I’d say google “Estate Planning documents” along with your state and maybe info will come up - hopefully the docs your people have were drawn by an attorney

1 Like

Yes it was per the husband.

Thank you!

Sonia
Pennsylvania
Notary On Wheelz

I perform similar signings for couples with Wills. By the time all signatures, notarizations and witness signings are complete, fee is approx $200 to $250. I perform these signings in person after docs are received from their legal source. Very helpful to fill in slow gaps.

It’s called GNW. Good work when you can get it :slightly_smiling_face:

You’re right on the button. $150 to $200 depending on distance. Closer to $200 since it’s 2 plans.