Found my address on seller's docs...yes I said "MY ADDRESS" on WD & ALTA!😨

So last week, got a seller’s package. As normal, started scanning through the docs and was led by my spirit to go deeper. As I was reading the WD, noticed the seller’s address was listed as MY HOME address!! :face_with_monocle:I took a 2nd look :eyes:thinking my eyes were playing tricks on me! I stared for about a minute and was convinced it was MY HOME address listed on the seller’s WD. So I decided to check the other remaining critical docs and there it was on the ALTA as well! I walked away from my desk thinking how in the world this happened! :cold_sweat: All kind of thoughts ran thru my head wondering what if I had not caught this nor the signer, title, escrow, etc! What if this got recorded with my home address on his docs? So reached out to the SA and contacted the person’s name on title docs. She was shocked, but nothing she probably haven’t exp before bc she stated it must’ve been a glitch in the system. Thank God I saw that bc the signer was already ticked off due to other unforeseen events before I even got there. Moreover, saying all this to say, I know most of you are veteran LSAs and to the newcomers, please read the docs thoroughly before going out bc one tiny mistake can be catastrophic as it could have been in my case! At least check the basics (i.e. signers’ name and address) to ensure it is correct. So I wonder if I’m considered their “top” preferred agent now? :thinking: You would think, right??! I hope my story could inspire and assist you all in becoming more attentive to details. I know most have done this a million times over, but review, review and review again before heading out!

10 Likes

Thank you for sharing. This shows that the TC. Did not do their just diligence before they sent you the docs. It was so funny. Thanks

1 Like

WOW… thanks for the reminder to always check those specific things beforehand. I always tell the signers to verify the information at the appointment but have not made it a habit to do so beforehand… but will do so moving forward… thanks for that.

1 Like

Wow, that is scary. Glad you caught it.

2 Likes

That is some Crazy stuff Woa

1 Like

@kellis3873 That was a good story. Thanks for reminding me to always check my documents. That is scary though.

1 Like

You are right! Their mistakes can cost us and then the stakeholders will question our credibility! I will do everything, in my power, to cover myself moving forward! My antennas are up even more now.

Valid point to verify w/ the signers beforehand which I do, but this was found before I even called the signer. Most times, I will review the docs before I call the signer, if I have them, just to see what’s going on.

I think the sloppy business practices by these TC’s are embarrassing. Some of the mistakes are unbelievable . We are out there representing these companies. It makes everyone involved look ridiculous. And (I don’t think) instills confidence on the side of the Client. I would think twice if I saw mistakes like that