General notary work can pay good!

I’ve been signing up on these one-off companies like We-Go-Look and Photoinspection. My experience is that all the jobs are way out of my geographic region and they pay $25 or less. That’s just not enough to cover my expenses. I hope other folks have a better experience, but that’s mine. No advice, then, either way.
Like my favorite word: DOWATCHAGOTTADO. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

I do it sparingly in my area–no more than 20 minutes away since they only pay $15.00. If you try it, let me know how your experience is.

That’s a shame. I guess it really depends on your area. I do a lot of dealership inspections which is less than 10 min from my home and I often get three to 4 orders in one day. They pay on average of $22-$25 per inspection and it takes me 15min to complete one. That is with WeGo Look.

1 Like

The thing is that you would not be able to see the company requesting the inspection until you accept the assignment through the app. However if that should happen you can always email / text or call them to let them know and have it reassigned to another looker.

I can work with that–thank you!

I still think general notary work is a complete waste of time.

1 Like

To begin with - you are a state-appointed Notary Public - that’s your job (correction - that’s your DUTY). To notarize documents for people who need it.

And General Notary Work is not a waste of time if your time is property monitored and controlled - in fact, the fact that you in CA can get $15/signature notarized PLUS travel/time - AND get paid at the table on the spot - it sure beats some of the garbage that companies pull on notaries doing loan signings.

Being a notary public is not just being a signing agent - in fact it was never meant to be that - signing agent (not an “official”, recognized title/position, I might add) came along a long time after the office of Notary Public.

JMO

5 Likes

I’m glad you said it because you can’t be the glorified notary (signing agent) without the prerequisite of being a commissioned notary…again this was targeted for newbies anyway!

1 Like

Roger Rill, a notary in Ohio, and President of the Ohio Society of Notaries, said it best - and I’ll never forget his words

“You should work to become an outstanding Notary Public before you work to become a good loan signing agent”. And he couldn’t be more right.

6 Likes

You’re either kiddin’ with us, Jason, or we should thank you for leaving the GNW to the rest of us. Either way, I’m happy you think it is a waste of time.

2 Likes

No problem, it’s all yours.

1 Like

GNW only pays good if you have a steady flow of customers,but is not a work a Notary can make a solid living, I do a lot of notarizations mostly for free to my hispanic brethren, I do not make a lot of money but I got a lot of friends!

Agreed, Mannie. It’s probably a little tough to make a living on GNW (there are undoubtedly exceptions) but I have found GNW both profitable and somewhat easier than always doing loan refi’s.

1 Like

I agree with you, @mannie1950 - there’s probably not enough to generate a “living wage” unless you market to the various areas where GNW is needed - lots of footwork, phone calls and follow-up; but it can be fruitful - there’s a lot of avenues out there to follow for GNW, including some that may generate repeat assignments and income. What I disagree with is the idea that it is a waste of time.

JMO

2 Likes

Just from the topic, alone people have shared:

Field inspections - We look, Photoinspections.com
Mobile fingerprinting (fingerprinting)
GNW - ( variable options)
Online notary

You have to work at all of this even loan signings to be successful; as I noted earlier some people notarize for family or friends and some utilize their services as a business. I encourage people to be proactive and encouraging rather than be dismissal, one could argue why to be an LSA when you can make more as a real estate agent or broker…

I enjoy GNW, I think it’s a cute little side gig and it’s quick and fun but it doesn’t keep up with Californias cost of living. It costs $75k to make a living and if your spending your time doing $15 assignments it seems counter productive.

JMO

1 Like

I a, always worried about people forging my stamp and stuff. With loan signing the package goes back to the title company, unless they send an executed copy to the signer. Also, I feel there is less room for fake ID’s with mortgage signings.

On the other hand my customers, African, Caucasian ,Middle eastern,Asians, when is time to notarize documents, besides the $ 10.00 charge for notarization in my state, they are always generous agreeing with me on the distance fee, so you guys are right, GNW always pay when is necessary and I did not complain about it, I been a Notary Public since 2012, everything is good on the GNW field, When I decided to be a NSA I did it with only one book “a freelance NotarySigning Agent” by Victoria Ring, I read it complete and learned, plus the Wisdom Pearls from Ms Brenda Stone, Ms Carol Ray (she will be missed) and in this blog LindaH-FL, Arichter,and lately Tisino and others who really help us understand the threads on this business.

1 Like

NSA work is slow now in my area, there are 32 Notaries in my area, when a Lowball appears they jump in a millisecond to get them, if they were olympians they get the gold medal on speed, but $ 40,62 75 signings? come on, I jus hope the market recovers and the graduates of the six figures university realize that it will take them perseverance, intelligence and hard work to do this job.

What are some marketing tips for GNW