How can a so-called Notary Signing Agent do this to a young couple who just wanted to buy a house?

Sorry. I’m on my high horse. I was the second notary in a two-part signing. Docs got to me on time, but they were absolutely useless. First: Certificates were made out for the property state and county - Notary #1 had never updated them to her location five states away. Second: There were 8 notarial acts - she signed four and stamped four. Never once did she do both on the same certificate. Third: The NRTC and CD were to be signed by each individual. Her buyer signed the wrong copies. Fourth: The amounts on the Excise Tax forms had been OVERWRITTEN with numbers pulled from who-knows-where (which had the escrow agent sputtering curses when I sent them to her.) Last but not least, her buyer signed with a nickname. A nickname!

Needless to say, this purchase will not close on time.

Okay, folks. Someone start with the excuses for this individual who calls herself a Notary Signing Agent.

6 Likes

OMG!!! I have seen some stuff too on split signings that made me want to jump on a plane and… Someone needs some serious training… I am so sorry for this poor borrower.

Question: They have a NRTC for a purchase? I’m confused.

2 Likes

Thank you VIP… I caught that too and wondered

3 Likes

The company who hired this inexperienced notary should be ashamed of themselves for putting their clients through such hassle and causing all kinds of delays for the buyers and sellers?

2 Likes

The Notary HAD to be brand new. The signing company got what they paid for.

5 Likes

Sorry - should have clarified. Two different transactions, same borrowers - first was the purchase of their new home, second was the refinance of a loan on the small building that housed their little business. Errors were scattered throughout both, but mostly on the purchase. I was still pretty hot under the collar when I wrote the original entry.

5 Likes

Been there done that. When you are 2nd on a split closing, write up a memo of all the errors the first notary made. Saved me several years ago. They tried to pin them on me and I referred them to the memo that went back with the documents.

4 Likes

whats annoying is the signing company drags the assignments for 2-3 hours trying to get the cheapest priced notary
well Kids
You just screwed the signers hiring an inexperienced sloppy notary who couldn’t do the job

and of course will blame to Notary , right or wrong this time …But you made an extra $20for yourself
now what happens?
You look incompetent hiring a bad notary

1 Like

I have called title immediately upon receipt of the docs
usually I ask for the second or first notary Info to be sure they know what to do
I learned that along time ago
I always have bland all purpose acknowledgements and Jurats etc with me
at least you can use them to do your part correctly and get it back for the re do of the other notary

What is a split signing

Split-signing is same loan signed by two different people in two different places, usually on two separate dates - IOW loan packages is signed in two stages, first party then second party later.

@ally9395 Interesting question!

Here is a full-page listing of threads found via the Search Function that should fully elucidate all aspects of a Split Signing for you. Happy Reading! :nerd_face:

https://forum.notarycafe.com/search?q=split%20signing

I found these, Ally, by accessing the Magnifying Glass on the Tab Ribbon above (see following image):

:swan:

Serves them right when they pick up notaries who have little or no experience to save a few dollars