How to accept credit cards

I am setting up a website for my mobile notary service and listing that I accept cash, check and venmo but do want to offer credit cards. Any advice on mobile apps and how to do that?

Thank yoU!

3 Likes

I like Square but you really have to just look up the apps that are out there & see what is in your budget.
Good Luck.

Kerry _NSA_AZ

2 Likes

I use square and purchased the contactless card reader. WELL worth it! My customers love being able to pay with credit card or Apple Pay!

4 Likes

Agree with all here. Square is nice. I have PayPal too. Both come with an APP and portable, touchless card readers. Also check with your bank and see what they have to offer as far as merchant services goes. After all, they all charge fees which you pass on to your customer (one way or the other) so you want to keep that cost down while researching.

2 Likes

In the modern business world, if your not Credit or Debit Card ready, you could lose half your business income.

2 Likes

Hi @kristilpeter I use PayPal Here. So far it’s working for me.

1 Like

Square (there is a fee) or cash app its free

1 Like

Square, Paypal and Quickbooks all have devices that you can use to accept credit/debit cards. Square and PayPal also give you the option of sharing a QR code and they can pay you with their cards without having to swipe/tap/dip them on a device. Apple pay, Google Pay, Venmo, Cash app and the previously mentioned services all have options for you to accept payment without having to use a physical actual card. A few things to consider though, How do you want to keep track of all the payments sent/received for your business?, How does the system you choose report transactions/income/profits/expenses for tax purposes? Do you need to invoice the customer(s), and how will you achieve that based on the payment system you have chosen? Do you want it to be included in the payment system or will it be via an external application/system from your payment system? Also, having multiple options for payment can help ensure that your customer can always send you the payment, just beware that offering too many options can overwhelm some people. Personally I used to use cash app, but I just upgraded to PayPal and Square.

4 Likes

I work with several mobile notaries and PayPal and Square are both popular with them. I would also recommend that you put a payment link right on your website. I know this is easily done with PayPal. They will give you the code and you can put it on your website and it will create a nice PayPal Button just like you would see on an ecommerce site. Here’s a link to a PayPal payment button training page: https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/how-do-i-add-a-paypal-payment-button-to-my-website-faq3629

4 Likes

you go sebastian you have to have a system that allows you to keep up with everything.

2 Likes

What is the charge for using Square? Please :blush:

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/6109-fees-and-payments-faqs#:~:text=Square’s%20standard%20processing%20fee%20is,3.5%%20%2B%2015¢%20fee.

1 Like

Great question. I was thinking about this option… Personally, in the past 4 months only 1 person asked to pay with a credit card for general notary work. Everyone else is more than fine with Cash, CashApp, Venmo, & PayPal. It’s so easy. I guess it has to do with you unique clientele. I’ll hold off on it for now as there doesn’t seem to be a need.

Square/PayPal/Venmo.

How long does it take to get set up with a credit card payment vendor? I have just established a relationship with a corporate account and they want to pay via credit card.

I don’t know anything about that department but I do know that you have to pay a certain percentage for each credit card transaction.