⭐ IMPORTANT STEP: Ensuring the Reputation of your Business by Obtaining A Receipt for Each Package

FYI: To all Notary Cafe Members regarding obtaining a receipt at the time of package handoff to the Shipper; i.e., FedEx, UPS, etc. =>

Obtaining a RECEIPT at the time of handoff is certainly NOT in any way for the benefit of the client . . .

The client usually NEVER mentions obtaining a receipt, except in rare instances with lowball Signing Services [SSs].

======

Of course, if it’s not for the benefit of your client, one might ask: “Why take the time, gas, effort, etc. to obtain a receipt at handoff?”

= = = = = = > For one very SIMPLE reason: It’s your PROOF that you definitively handed off the package to an employee at the appropriate shipper!

It’s to protect you & your professional reputation. It also gives you peace of mind that it’ll be on the plane & the client can immediately track it’s location. That’s a small price to pay for knowing that you’ve managed the entire Signing Engagement from Start-to-Finish in a professional & efficient manner.

Next question: “Why would one need PROOF that they definitively handed off a package to an employee at the appropriate shipper?”

Because if it “goes missing,” then the backstop tracks directly to the SHIPPER (not you)! Thus, the following doesn’t come into play:

1. Blaming you for not handing the package off.
  2. You providing your professional services for FREE to replace the package that “went missing.”
  3. Charging you the shipment fee for the REPLACEMENT package you’ll send to your client, which will be DEDUCTED from your fee.
  4. Probable erasure from the client’s Preferred List of Professional Signing Agents [PSAs].
  5. Etc.

======

IMPORTANT TANGENTIAL NOTE: There are some handoff locations that are identified as “Authorized Shipper.” Please DON’T be fooled by those signs . . .

1. They aren’t able to SCAN in the tracking data.
  2. They won’t provide you with a receipt.
  3. They won’t guarantee the safety & security of your package.
  4. Etc.

:swan:

8 Likes

I’ve had more than a few packages ‘disappear’ into the shipper’s system. Having the receipt proves I dropped the package on time and puts the onus on either the shipper or the receiver (TC’s, Lender, Law Office, Court, IRS, ect.). I’ve had receivers literally yell over the phone about a missing package. I get into the shipper’s portal and find driver’s sign off and the recipient’s name.

6 Likes

Good point. This step should be taught to all newbie’s coming into this type of work. I was already taking this step when returning packages from shopping online :shopping_cart:

2 Likes

@alice2uworld Yes! Concur :100:percent! :sparkles: It should be taught, but apparently is often overlooked . . .

Created this thread to ensure that it’s seen by all Notary Cafe members to add to their individual “toolbox” to ensure:

=> excellent customer service
=> professionalism from Start-to-Finish
=> For safeguarding their business reputation

I had a Signing Service call me upset that they only received 2 pages of a package I returned. After locating the receipt, I told them well, on the FedEx receipt it says the package weighed 1.68 pounds. After looking, they informed me they had “found” the rest of the package. Without the receipt, I would be held liable for the lousy job. I’ll never forget this one.

4 Likes

@pgraham5492 Absolutely :100: Percent! :sparkles:

It only takes one experience of this type to make or break a business reputation REGARDLESS of wherein the culpability actually rests . . .

======

There’s also a demeanor of confidence present when speaking about the transaction as you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that you physically handed off the package yourself to the shipper employee in a chain-of-custody fashion & knowing the current condition of the package at said time.

Value of that? PRICELESS!

Sometimes it may seem like a pain in the ass to have to wait for a receipt, but I assure you that it will be worth it if you need it. The first person they will blame if a package goes missing is the notary. Having that receipt to prove that you made the dropoff is vital.

5 Likes

All of the above along with the fact that the receipt is date/time stamped, proving the package was dropped in a timely manner.

I used a drop box ONCE - after being explicitly directed by hiring party to use one. She even went so far as to search the FedEx site and tell me where the closest box was to my signing location along with pickup times. Alrighty then, I’ll do it but it’s on you if it gets lost.

Another time I had a signing at a bank and was going to drop the package in the drop box right on the corner. Signers asked me where the package was going to be dropped and I told them - they told me don’t do it - nobody EVER collects from that box!

1 Like

I always get a receipt when dropping off any package. It proves you dropped it off and puts the delivery on the shipper.

1 Like

It’s all about C.Y.A. and it’s a chain of evidence thing, in 500 and change signings I have never not gotten a receipt. Even when it’s an extra 45 minutes up and back because the usual pack and ship place closed 5:30pm and the FedEx or UPS stores last pick up isn’t until 7pm.
My advice, never do drop boxes or Walgreens or CVS stores or any other place where you can’t get a receipt… once that receipt is in your hand the chain of evidence is moved to the next station and you are free of any liability for the package

1 Like

The reason they only got two pages is because you need the tape the envelope shut. Do not trust the glue that’s on the envelopes it doesn’t hold up to cold weather or hot weather. I do a cross pattern when I tape up the envelopes so the rest of the documents aren’t spread across the FedEx or UPS driver’s truck. They won’t take the time to pick it up.

Trust me this happens all the time.

If you read my post, they had, in fact, received the entire package. I don’t use cardboard envelopes, only the plastic paks. Sometimes I put the documents inside the cardboard envelope and then put it inside the plastic paks.

1 Like

cNsa5 great topic and you made valid points. This happened to me, fortunately I had a receipt and it save me a lot of stress. I never will drop any documents in a drop box or any place I can not get proof of shipment.

3 Likes

@cfletcher Sorry to read about your experience, but so HAPPY to know that you had the receipt & saved so much stress & anguish! Proof of Shipment is your Saving Grace!

Concur :100: percent to NEVER drop documents/packages in any drop box (including USPS). :sweat_drops:

@vanicia67 Welcome to the Notary Cafe forum! This is the other separate thread that I referenced that may be a helpful to you as a newbie/New Notary Cafe member. :sweat_drops::owl:

@oldlinesa Welcome to the Notary Cafe forum! :sparkles:This is the other separate thread that I referenced that may be helpful to you as well.

1 Like

@hirutejigu Welcome to the Notary Cafe forum! :sparkles: This is the other separate thread that I referenced that may be helpful to you as well.

@brianbell53 Welcome to the Notary Cafe forum! :sparkles: This is ONE of the other separate threads that I referenced. It should prove quite helpful, too.

@feliciadennisnotaryboss Welcome to the Notary Cafe forum! :sparkles: This may be a helpful to you as a newbie/New Notary Cafe member.

@debbrayost Welcome to the Notary Cafe forum! :sparkles: This thread may be a helpful to you as a newbie/New Notary Cafe member. I’ve also linked another thread that will be helpful, too!