Information and Opinions for automatic paper changing printers

I don’t do many signings a week, but lately it seems that there are a lot of different
new signing companies and new lenders that have popped up and
are either copying documents from other companies and my pages that I have to print are sometimes mixed with 8-1/2 by 11 and 8-1/2 by 14 papers. It wasn’t that way a couple of years ago, but it is now and this switching trays and sizing has been extremely time-consuming. I thought at one time that the companies (like B of A) would just accommodate the notary
and have maybe 1 or 2 documents by 8-1/2 by 14 and the rest 8-1/2 x 11.

(1) Is it worth for me to purchase a printer that automatically prints 8-1/2 x 11 and 8-1/2 by 14 depending on the size? Or do you think that it will change to all 8-1/2 x 11?

(2) If you use this automatic paper size printer, what is the most reasonable and best one that you have found.

Thank you!

Karen

Storytime: For (way too) many years, I had a 1-tray printer. When the ol’ HP 1020 finally died of old age, I got a used/low copy count on eBay dual tray HP…and realized what I’d been missing.
In a lot less than 15 minutes max/lg. pkg., IT’S DONE. As to which printer…there are 2 ‘camps’ HP & Brother. Pick whichever floats your boat. And compare the specs. Don’t get a MFC if you can avoid it–one function will quit and they don’t seem to last as long as a dedicated workhorse printer.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your input. I will certainly look around for a used one. A little weary about Ebay, since I bought supposedly Genuine Brothers Toner (2 toners for $79.00 a piece - a fair price) and they ruined my papers in scanning and even the original by smudges and taking off ink from headings for about 4 months until we figured out by process of elimination by a Brothers’ representative that the toners were counterfeit and was the culprit in damaging my scanner (because the ink was cheap ink). This was a lesson, I didn’t think I wanted to learn. Karen

Great Question…here is my experience…first, I will never again (for the reasons you mentioned) buy compatible toner/ink cartridges. Next, I purchased a new ($300) HP dual tray OfficeJet Pro 7740…I don’t trust it to auto switch from letter to legal and vice versa…some notaries have great success, but this HP could not seem to make the transition without messing up the first legal or letter page during the switch over from one tray to the other. I purchase an app instead call Page Separator (separates the legal and letter pages) for $30 and it works great. It then creates a separate pdf file for each without disturbing the original file. I print each file at a time and put them back in order during my review. Of course, this is what I do and is cheaper than a new printer.

Hi Ronald,
Thank you for your advice and opinions.
Yesterday I was on a chat line with Brother and they told me that I could purchase (not cheap)
another paper tray for my legal paper or regular paper from Brother and put it under my HLL 6200 DW printer and it would be able to use when I print my documents from the internet- even automatically. So I don’t have to change my printer which I really love. I am looking into that option. I didn’t realize that my HLL6200 had that option. I’m looking for a used tray, but they are hard to come by.

Karen

Hi Ronald,

Just a note that I never, ever buy compatible ink cartridges either. The ones on Ebay said “Genuine Brother” cartridges and evidently they were lying. And the cartridges came in a silver wrapper just like the genuine Brother cartridges. I never questioned it. (But of course now I will).

Again, thank you for your answer.

Karen