Leaving the Notary Business -

I’m tranisitioning out of the notary business to focus on other passive revenue streams. Has anyone had experience getting rid of /liquidating equipment (Printer, scanners, paper, etc.) and supplies or have any suggestions on where to begin?

5 Likes

Try Facebook Marketplace…

7 Likes

Jessica, it’s bittersweet to see you moving on to other opportunities. I wish you the best.

3 Likes

It is bittersweet indeed, but mostly sweet! Agility is key and I truly learned soooo much on my notary journey and it has led me to a new path altogether. I am grateful for the journey! All the best to you as well!

7 Likes

@notarysigningagent716 Wishing you the Best in the next segment of your Journey. :sparkles::palm_tree::star:

Agreed => Agility. I will add though that it’s also very important to be flexible & Receptive/Open to new ideas.

======

Throughout my life when a door has “slammed closed” in my direct path, at that point I would finally gaze around & consider alternatives . . . Miraculously, I’d “stumble” onto something that turned out to be a completely perfect fit! Yes, miraculous, because I couldn’t have planned it to be so smooth and so Perfect.

One may not always get what they want in life, but somehow we can get what we need, which presents us with a much better option!

:swan:

7 Likes

Mind if I ask what you’ll be doing next?

1 Like

I totally get that. I’ve been trying to get out the past month or so. I think it’s a smart thing to do as things are going to get worse (potentially much worse) before they get better. Now is a real bad time to get into NSA work unless income doesn’t matter to you. I think having a printer and scanner is probably good to have in general for life purposes. Might be good to keep them in case things turn around in the next year and you want to pick stuff up on the side. But, if you don’t want them you could try craigslist, Facebook, or amazon.

5 Likes

Sell them, if allowed, in your local notary groups on Facebook. The notaries there would know the value of these items and may be more likely to buy them as a group.

2 Likes

When setting your price remember other notaries will only buy if needed and the price is right. I was fortunate enough to buy a dual tray brother printer that was less than a year old from another notary that was getting out of the business. She gave me 4 toner cartridges and the one in the machine was brand new. She wanted $250 for an $800 printer. I needed a new one as my other one (I also bought second hand almost a year ago…which was much much older) was acting up. I felt bad for her but she set the price and I was desperate and willing to pay her asking price.

I found her on Facebook Marketplace

3 Likes

I’m going to sell my practice. Over 300 customers that all paid me. Two printers, one scanner, some paper and pens and stuff. Oh, and a pretty nice Porsche that I put about 10,000 miles on in the 18 months I did the job. Cannot put a price tag on the posts I made on this forum - I guess they’re free. Hows about $50K? I’ll even throw in my lapel pins.
Any takers? Wait. . . not the Porsche :joy:

3 Likes

I’m just starting in the business & looking to purchase printer and all supplies needed. I live in El Paso TX.

1 Like

My suggestion to you is - based on reading this forum and others and hearing about the downturn in the market - shop Ebay - buy cheap for temporary til you’re sure you can make it; many have posted right here they’ve spent a small fortune on equipment just to have no work coming int.

Best of luck

2 Likes

I am new to the notary world. I would be interested in a dual tray printer.

1 Like

If you’re new I say wait…hone your notary skills first. Or go cheap

Search here using keyword “newbie” and “business” … You’ll see what I mean.

Also, location is key…

2 Likes

When I started my Notary journey in 2020 I also started the first (and only at the time) shop catering to us Notaries on Etsy (BestLifeNotary) and I have enjoyed e-commerce and learning digital marketing!

2 Likes

@pnevarez64 & @kingdomsocietyconsulting WHOA! EXTREME CAUTION should be implemented here! You both just made my head do a ‘Linda Blair Exorcist’ 360-degree spin on my neck! :flushed:

You both indicated you’re ENTERING this business sector . . . Before you spend another penny or expend another ounce of energy on it, please honor yourself by performing your own due diligence & activate your critical thinking processes on the sagacity of those actions. Here are a few threads to get you going (see below).

Also, you’ll want to take a look at the Notary Cafe Forum listing of threads! There are myriad threads with many begging for information about “where are the Signing Orders?”

Plus, I’m wondering if you’ve caught the new reports about all the industry sector layoffs in the major Mortgage business entities, Title/Escrow companies [T/ECs], Signing Services going Out-of-Business [OOB], Non-payment by Signing Services, etc.

4 Likes

@pnevarez64 & @kingdomsocietyconsulting P.S. Here is another one with an insightful article at the top . . .

======

Don’t buy-into the Sizzle (look before you leap!)

======

2 Likes

Good Luck and Congratulations :slight_smile:

I miss the 5k or more a month in extra income. Thankfully for me, fulltime job (law office) legal billing I never had to buy anything, and used the equipment i had the office or here. Most definitely try offerup of Facebook marketplace to sale your stuff. Goodluck with your future endeavors.

Over the last 25 - 30 years I have left the Notary business 2 or 3 times. I’d recommend you hang on to the equipment a while.

2 Likes