Notary Information and Certification Page

Some companies try to sneak in a notary information conformation page in a signing package. Which companies should I avoid so that I don’t get caught in this situation again?

What’s your problem with providing that info?

I don’t think I understand what the OP is referring to.

Maybe I don’t either. I ‘assumed’ it’s one sheet where they want your contact info.

Sometimes a sheet will be in the package requested E&O information, license number, etc.

If the signing is through a signing company, I ignore those; I’m the subcontractor, and that info is the responsibility of the contractor (the signing company). If the signing is direct from a title/escrow firm… well, I’ve never seen one of those sheets in a direct signing.

To determine your status and responsibilities, check your state rules governing contract law.

I think I know what you mean. There are some forms that may ask you to notarize your own signature. I’m guessing you already know not to do that. The other thing to watch out for are loose certificates.

I apologize for being less than clear. Let me try again :slight_smile:
There is a page in the title company’s loan package that is labeled notary information sheet. It has spaces for my commission number, name, mailing address, phone number, exp date of commission, SIGNATURE AND STAMP. That’s the problem spot. I can lose my commission if I notarize my own signature. I have told the signing company this and they originally took me off the signing! I fought my way back into the signing with a compromise (the NNA told me i can fill it out but just not stamp it) and that sufficed for that job. Today they are FORCING me to stamp that page or lose the job AGAIN!! Now here’s my thoughts on this: It is illegal to “fire” a person for refusing to do something illegal. So, if they remove me from the signing I will file a complaint with the BB and the Texas Labor Board and maybe even with the agencies where the title company and signing company get their licenses from. Thoughts??

I have seen similar where they ‘want’ the stamp…which they won’t get. First few times I included a chapter & verse copy/paste on my letterhead on brightly colored paper of my state’s law that stated notarizing my own signature was illegal. Never heard a word about it and continued doing that for a while; then downgraded it to a tiny Post-It with ‘no can do’ printed on it & stuck where the stamp was indicated. After a while, I don’t even do that…just sign/no stamp.

I still often do similar when I cross out that CA Penalty of Perjury clause–which appears to be law nowhere but CA…and I ain’t in CA. Again…nobody complains. Often all it takes is a bit of education by showing them your state law in black print on bright blue paper :smirk:

1 Like

My suggestion is either read your notary statutes, your notary handbook, or call your SOS - get the legal citation (the actual law section) that states you can only affix your seal to a notarial act - send that to them and tell them "pursuant to Texas law <> it is illegal for a notary to affix their seal to anything other than a notarial act. Since this “information sheet” is not a notarial act, and I cannot notarize my own signature, I cannot affix my seal.

When I did signings there was a company that asked for this every time - I’d sign but not stamp - would add wording ike "cannot affix seal pursuant to Florida Statute " - never got removed from a closing or fired over that.

JMO

1 Like

I am running into this problem right now. Do you suggest I staple it to the preceding page?

The couple times (never recently) that I’ve been asked to provide a stamp as part of my notary info, I’ve stamped, then crossed out with a line and voided my stamp. That was acceptable to them and I assumed that they just wanted wanted to verify that I had a stamp, not that I was notarizing my signature. I didn’t really like the idea but voiding the stamp seemed okay. Does that seem problematic to anyone? It would be good to know…

I wouldn’t staple my ‘no can do’ to the page…unless you really want to make your point, but you’re running a risk of them deciding you’re a PITA and de-listing you. Bright colored paper has always worked for me.

I guess ‘stamping and voiding’ stops a problem that shouldn’t have been there to begin with. Basically, go with whatever works as long as it’s legal.