Summer attire

We are all still professionals even when weather is hot. Tank tops and “daisy dukes” not appropriate for signings. I dropped off a UPS pkg today 8/2/23 in UPS store inside Safeway, Bonney Lake. There was a female notary in shorts and tank top in this tiny space that had several people lined up for her to perform notarizations. Good for her that she had business but she could have moved the group out of the UPS space to tables by Starbucks in store. I may be old fashioned but shorts and tank top are not appropriate dress. Inside of store is air conditioned. Your thoughts??

8 Likes

I totally agree. I’m a skirt/dress girl and I have a light jacket on even when it’s hot outside. I like to cover myself as much as possible especially because I’m around married couples. If the trend is “half naked” bunk the trend!

2 Likes

@alice2uworld Concur :100: Percent! :owl:

If one has the expectation of being considered a professional, treated as a professional, and moreover PAID as a professional, then by all means one should represent oneself in that precise manner.

It was 107 degrees Fahrenheit (actual temperature, not heat index) yesterday & I maintained my professional demeanor with clients & associates, attire, and comportment.

======

FYI: It’s understood there are some who perceive work within this business sector as a component of the gig economy/sidegig. It’s also understood that their perspective about being professional while performing these services may vary dramatically from the expectations . . . In addition, it could also be that this (and several other factors) directly contribute to the race to the bottom of the barrel for fees while providing these services.

:swan:

2 Likes

No trend is NOT half naked. From what I see is people who do not know how to be professional. Perhaps they will view this post.

4 Likes

I love your post because I believe that you should dress appropriately for every occasion. Are you saying that she was conducting business inside the store, but didn’t actually work for UPS? If so, I’m surprised the staff would allow that.

I recently received a call from a title agency for which I’d never done any work. When I arrived to hand deliver the signed documents, the woman working there commented on my professionalism, particularly, my dress and grooming. I was glad I wore my pumps that day because it added to the look.

Perhaps the young lady you saw earned enough money that day to purchase a skirt and a few blouses for notary work. :smirk::wink:

5 Likes

The UPS Store inside Safeway usually has appropriately dressed staff that is very polite and courteous. On this witnessed day appeared to have a whole new staff and no one I recognized. Noticed they did not speak English very well. I also was surprised UPS personnel allowed process to continue in tight fitting area with line going around the corner. As I stated, plenty of tables to sit at in Starbucks area. People don’t have to be wealthy to dress appropriately. Thrift stores are a good source for people find work attire on a budget especially if person is small in stature. She needs to step up her game. Makes me wonder how many other Notaries attire are not meeting minimum standards such as clean, not too much exposure of body parts, etc.

4 Likes

Oh no, no, no! Never shorts or tanks tops. My go to attire when it’s super hot here in SE Texas is either a dress or linen trousers and a blouse. I need them to trust that I know what I’m doing. Dressing professionally reinforces that.

10 Likes

Should I squeeze my dad bod into a Speedo and flip flops?

6 Likes

Ha, ha ~ made me laugh ~ TMI ~ have a visual in my head now :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

One of the most important tools we Texans need is to make certain the car’s A/C is in good working order.

2 Likes

Does anyone remember the Notary Doctor? I think he was located in Vegas. He dressed in scrubs and a lab coat, even topped off his look with a stethoscope. I heard it worked for him.

My preference is the Golfer look which fits perfectly with my little slice of paradise. It never gets cold enough to carry anything more than a light jacket. The CEOs and CFOs are all wearing jeans now so you don’t want to overdress.

To those identifying as female I would caution against dressing with the intention to distract though it might work, I reference the above story about the Notary Doctor.

3 Likes

I’m old school also. We should be dressing professionally. There’s a demeanor that is appropriate but it seems like that is slipping away. :disappointed:

5 Likes

I have found very expensive clothes at the goodwill stores. Some of the suits and jackets still had the store tag on them. Those suits have served me well and the cost of buying them and dry cleaning was still affordable. Sorry Liz Claiborne, you’re untouchable at full price!

4 Likes

Follow up to my original post. Turns out the lady in tank top and shorts is the UPS store manager (perhaps owner)? I was in UPS yesterday 8/7/23 sending birthday gifts and while I was standing in line she was performing another notarization on a table right next to people in line. Her customer was friend to customer I had prior for large complex purchase in AZ. We exchanged greetings. When she was done stated, “Can I help next customer in line?” while leaving notary stamp and log on exterior table. I responded, “I’m next in line but don’t you want to pick up your stamp and notary log first”? She was dressed appropriately this time. Having my business since 2015 have not been too impressed with UPS Notaries. I did know one Notary in Kitsap County WA that actually took National Notary Assn exam and passed. At least she made true effort to get educated. Asked many UPS Notaries if they ever read WA Laws for Notaries and majority responded NO. Scary world out there :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Funny comment regarding costumes. Tell me ~ what do you do for Halloween?? :upside_down_face:

Maybe a nice pair of dressy bermuda shorts with a blouse and nice sandals but definitely not booty shorts and a tank top or flip flops. How unprofessional! I would think twice if i needed documents notarized by someone dressed like this.

3 Likes

I am a full figured older woman. Maybe im jealous, but shIrts and a tank are not appropriate. In my opinion, neither are tops that show cleavage. My favorite summer outfit where there is often no AC, is nice crop pants and either a nice light top or a tank and a loose over shirt/blouse. Even office attire is fairly casual here. Also, younger l ladies, easy on the yoga pants and eye makeup.

3 Likes

I wear shorts and a business polo in my own home when doing business. When i am out in the field I wear my business shirt and pants. That way she dressed is to unprofessional. My us look bad. Our ups store they are not nice when dropping off a package. But i get all their customers when no one is there. I like that part… When a business you want to leave a mark on the person you helped and they come back to you and refer you. Especially when our store closes at 630 est

3 Likes

My pole shirt has my logo on it!!

3 Likes

There could have been reasons why she was dressed like that. When i go to the UPS for a drop or to check my box, I’m not always dressed up. Their notary isn’t always there and since i am so close, i get alot of business from that. A guy that works in the UPS store, had no problem with me using a stand they have to notarize something for someone, as i have before.
So was it that she was already there and took on the business and more people were coming in? Hell, for all you know, the tank top increased her business! I have a shirt that says “notary” across the front. The wording sits up very nicely, depending on the bra i have on. It sure had brought business.

1 Like