To All You Notaries Wanting To "STAND TOGETHER"

In new york city, the police, corrections, teachers, transit, etc. all have unions to protect their interests monetarily.
If you think if we had more of a uniified movement for greater pay, benefits, etc the fbi is going to raid our homes and we are going to be found guilty in federal court, you must be smoking dope. Lol.
Always remember, there is a jury and juries look at things like greed when they hand down convictions.
So if we simply got together for something reasonable regarding pay, pay time frames, etc etc. and negotiated something with the lenders and signing companies, to think that we are going to end up going to jail for this is absurd. Remember, juries are people just like you and I. They dont like those whom take advantage of others. If we started driving up pay consistently with malice to 1000 or more per signing, or else !!! now we obviously have a problem. Negotiating for 50 more dollars or so out of a 500,000 dollar signing is not just reasonable but the mere thought of the ftc coming down on us is absurd. Quite frankly, they may be coming down on them for last minute documents so the signer doesnt have a true chance to review. Please people, use common sense and just do what is right and expect the same from others as well. You dont take advantage of someone because you can, you give to someone because you can. Thus said, I check my work 3 - 4 times over. When you go cheap on a notary, you hurt not just the notary, you hurt the title company, etc. Who checks their work properly if they are cheated on the money ? I may from time to time ask for 10 - 20 dollars more but my work and my drops are on point.

When the state dictates how much max we can charge for a notarizarion is this price fixing and in violation of federal law ?
Maybe.
If we really rep the state, then we certainly should have a non profit to protect our interests regarding pay, benefits, etc, the whole enchilada with the state and possibly no one else.
This is another way to look at the situation.
When I call a client I give my name, and that I am a notary public representing the state in the transaction. Why ? Because that is what I really am.
It also helps to protect me from a client being upset with me because of what is or is not on the docs.
It would be nice if there was an exam by the states along with various laws we had to know, etc to make sure the transaction was lawful and proper for the consumer. Issues like time to review docs could be one of the regulations we had to enforce as an example. This is another way to address the problem for us to consider.

I disagree- you are a public officer, NOT a representative of the state. As a public officer commissioned by the state, the state is within its rights to establish regulations regarding fees. However, when contacting people to schedule a loan signing - this is your signing agent hat and you, therefore, represent the title company/signing service/lender, not the state.

2 Likes

Your response wears out my eyes. Are you an avid Tik Tok fan? Reading between the images I believe I agree with you. Apparently you have your hands in many pots :slight_smile:

1 Like

Agree from Alice in WA

I agree with you too - that was kind of off-putting.

1 Like

SOOOOOOOOO FUNNNY!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Thank You

I would like to add a comment to this line of thought. When COVID began in WA State, Gov. Inslee stated in writing that Notaries are in the category as necessary employees of the state. We were directed to continue to perform notarization duties for business and financial transactions and observe all safety precautions. Hence, WA Notary Public is a representative of the state. Each state may have different directives. We all need to stand in our own truth.

2 Likes

Nice to break up all the seriousness with a little humor. Everyone needs to smile more.

1 Like

Snapsdocs is a platform, they don’t see the prices!! The signing service or title, whoever is using Snapdocs sets the prices!

1 Like

When I hear “stand together” I interpret it as “stand our ground” for what are services are worth. For example WA state we can charge $10.00 per notarization. If there is 8 notarization’s in the packet, don’t take less than $80.00 and consider other major cost factors.

2 Likes

Yes This is true… I’m in the Chicago area and across the board. When I calculate cost, if I accept anything under 95.00 I am working at a loss. Unlike some other states er are the lowest and it is very hard but not impossible to achieve those higher income level reported by my californian counter parts. I wish I would have researched the fees prior to signing for some LSA coursed I took.

1 Like

The signing services certainly seem to be colluding to fix prices. There’s little to no variation in notary fees nationally, regionally, or by state. I’m certainly happy that I have better options.

1 Like

With so many essentials workers able to receive hazardous pay I’m surprised there was not anything for the notary.

1 Like

Yes, they are giving title, escrow and mortgage lenders a “bunch” of notaries at their disposal. Or so they think. I have so many ideas about how to even the score but I’m unsure whether or not I want to be the sacrificial lamb. I could lose a great deal if I open the box. But others could benefit more. I’ve written about this before in a face book forum. People took notice but no one stepped forward to collaborate.

So funny. Protecting?

Yup, your’e right. It’s the signing services that should be held to state notary fees
I’m in MI and it’s $10 per notarization and like you said, my packages
with the number of notarizations could easily garner $120 per package