To those who love dogs in signings

I do too Best idea ever

1 Like

This is actually a really good idea…

1 Like

I always say, dogs know people who actually like them. I have done over a thousand closing (snap docs show 1615) and can say maybe one out of hundred dog present closings, I may only have had issues with one. I own 2 dogs and tell my signers as I tell people who visit my home. If you don’t like dogs, don’t come to my home. That simple…

3 Likes

I wouldn’t say it’s about liking or disliking them. It’s about having untrained dogs around you vs. having trained dogs around you. An untrained dog is an untrained dog. And untrained dogs are generally a nuisance. Trained dogs, on the other hand, are literal gifts from god.

3 Likes

I’m with you. I love dogs, have some of my own, but not every dog is nice. You are a stranger, going into their home, interacting with their people. Dogs are unpredictable. I have had issues with 2 dogs just this summer. And the owners seemed oblivious… When I leave with teeth scratch marks on my hands and arms, pocket flap ripped off my pants, slobber all over my leather messenger bag, I now ask for all animals to be secured when I go for a signing. If you want to pet strange dogs, go for it. For me, I am there to do a job, the less distractions the better. If they dont want to contain their animals I ask that we meet outside the home. The public library has many great quiet corners to perform a signing.

3 Likes

I chuckled at your comment and agree! And don’t forget to add the spoiled little brats, who were not trained to respect authority. We could have several cups of coffee, with the closings I have at with those. I do not blend with disrespect kids, dogs, cats, etc.

1 Like

I would not feel comfortable giving someone elses dog a random treat. My dog has allergies and I would not approve of someone giving him a treat.

2 Likes

Of course you ask them first if you can give them a treat. The owners will see if they have any allergies etc. Even if their dog has allergies they love that you thought of it

4 Likes

Yes, that’s understandable…I love them so much I personally don’t care if they’re trained or not BUT I totally see your point. Not everyone wants to drop their bag and roll around with a dog. I do, but can see where this isn’t acceptable too…

1 Like

Beggin’ Strips…no dog can resist them. Ive had dogs stand there and growl with a Beggin Strip in their mouth…:rofl::rofl::rofl:

AGREE 1000 PERCENT. Owners love it and it truly, truly makes the signing start out well, doesn’t it?? :heart:

BEGGIN STRIPS, “fun size” from Amazon…never had a dog turn it’s nose up at one. A couple will still stand there and growl at me, but with a Beggin Strip in their mouth which is funny to me!

Ohhh boy…today I met “Charlie” who “plays dead” for treats.

He (and his mohawk-he is part Chinese Crested) threw himself down and laid there staring at me the whoooole time. Sometimes his owners dye his Mohawk purple for the Minnesota Vikings. :joy::joy::joy::joy::rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

It is an excellent ice breaker!! People LOVE people who love their dogs! If the owner has a problem, they will tell you. If the dog is a problem, they will tell you. I have had that situation. The owner is always appreciative and surprised that I thought of their furry babies. But they will let me know if I can go ahead. Unusually, if there is an issue, they have already secured the dog. 99.9% of the time, it is a positive and puts the dog and dog families at ease that I except this member of the family. I have NEVER had a negative experience.
One other note, I find addressing the furry baby at the beginning, allows the client to let you know what is comfortable for you and the furry baby. I find it an easy way to address barking babies.

1 Like

These 5 Newfoundland’s were amazing. They stayed outside until the signing was over. I told her I wanted to meet them and it was okay to let them in. They ate all the dog treats I had!!! SOOOOOO Sweet, SOOOOOO Big, SOOOOOO much slobber!!! Luckily I had no signing after. Went straight home and took a shower :rofl:
(They also had 2 Chihuahuas.) :joy:

7 Likes

At the start of the signings when there is a dog sniffing my clothes to understand where my Mastiff might be hiding, I say to the dog (always for the benefit of the owner(s)): “If you don’t behave I’ll have to use your paw-prints to sign some documents. That’s a legal signature, you know”. Chuckles all around and the owner know what was meant. Buzz off to the corner, Charlie …
PS: I’ll take a dog over a historically crying 3-4 year old ANYTIME. Add to that the parakeet that kept saying one bad word … well that’s another story…

4 Likes

Omg!!! You were lucky enough to get about half a ton (literally!) of pups at one time?!? :heart:

2 Likes

Just met the sweetest 140lb white anatolian shepherd this week. Got a couple of kisses on the cheek, gave him some scratches and he just laid down next to me while I finished the signing. I love signers with dogs! We just lost our sweet furry girl in March so I find it a balm for my broken heart.:relieved::purple_heart::dog2:

4 Likes

White Shepherds are gorgeous aren’t they???

So sorry for the loss of your own little for a child!

3 Likes

Yesterday when I arrived at the customers’ house as usual I stood 6 feet from the door, held up my ID and introduced myself. Husband opened the door, saw me and I told his wife to put the dogs away! I said, “I love dogs, you don’t have to put them away.” But they insisted. I was so glad they put the dogs away! They had two dogs-The great dane! Tanner and Grace. And they were bigger than me! They would definitely knock me over for sure! :joy:.

2 Likes