When to cancel an assignment

Hi, I accepted an assignment a day ago. The signing was scheduled for 7pm. It is 6:38 pm and I haven’t received the docs yet. Should I cancel? Is it true that if you don’t receive the docs within 2 hours of the appointment that you can cancel.

1 Like

@aosullivan222, We are sorry for not responding quick enough on your question , but 20 minutes before your signing appointment was probably a tough moment for anyone to see your question on time. I know as for myself if the documents have not been sent to me at least 2 hours before you have to leave your driveway, not before appointment time and you don’t have another signing afterwards, call the borrowers and let them know that documents have not been sent to you and if they can please call their LO (loan officer) and inform them that docs have not been uploaded by signing service company. Maybe that’ll speed up the process. Always make sure you do it before the LO goes home for the day. Also don’t forget to call SS company and let them know you need the documents in the next 30 minutes or they’ll have to RS signing especially that late in the day.

2 Likes

Thank you for replying. You were not late in answering my question. It was just a general question. The delivering of late docs seems to be happening quite often these days so I wanted to know how everyone was handling this type of situation. Thanks again.

1 Like

There’s no hard and fast “rule” for this - it’s how you want to run your business; if you need docs earlier you’ll need to let hiring party know that if you don’t have them you either have to give it back or move the appointment time. Every Signing Agent has a different policy on this - some have 2 hour window, some 3, some 4, some day before, some say “send them to me anytime, I have a printer in my car and will print on the road” -

If it were me (and I’ve had it happen) - I would have given the signing back only because I don’t want that level of stress; my belief is I’m not going to stress out over your inability to get me docs on time, and I refuse to print and run - I want to see them first.

I had one years ago - scheduled for 2 in the afternoon; delay delay delay in docs - finally told them if I didn’t have them by 7pm, please reassign…no response; at 7:30 another email, please reassign, no response; I advised borrowers they’d be hearing from another notary; at 7:50pm docs arrive - signing was an hour away, still had to print, etc etc - I contacted company and said “sorry, no can do now, get someone else”

Again, it’s all in how you want to run your business and how adamant that your business and the hiring parties do not run you.

Hope this helps

3 Likes

Thank you so much Linda. I totally agree with “If it were me (and I’ve had it happen) - I would have given the signing back only because I don’t want that level of stress; my belief is I’m not going to stress out over your inability to get me docs on time, and I refuse to print and run.”