No confirmation of appointment with borrower

Hi all! I’m a brand new signing agent and have a question for you all. I recently accepted a signing through Snapdocs, and the instructions state that I should proceed to the signing regardless of confirming the appointment with the borrower or not. I attempted to confirm with the borrower but she did not answer. I left a message and within 10 minutes, I get an email from Coast2Coast Signings that the borrower confirmed the appointment. Is this standard? I prefer to speak to the borrower, confirm appointment, check for correct Id, explain my role etc. PLUS, I’m cautious about going out to a signing without contact due to safety reasons.

Generally, they want YOU to confirm w/signer (I prefer this.) Some want this done ASAP, then want you to confirm to them that you confirmed w/S; others treat you as a adult. If they want me to just show up, then they must also agree to paying full fee regardless of outcome.

I always refused to comply with these instructions for all the reasons you pointed out but, additionally, due to my demographics - we are very rural here and explicit directions are vital unless I’m meeting them in a public place. I also agree with Arichter - if I MUST go without confirming, then full fee is payable regardless of the outcome.

This practice of “just go, don’t confirm” with the borrowers started years ago when companies took exception to notaries who went over loan terms on the phone and many deals were killed as a result of the notary ending up giving bad or incorrect information. When I was asked to just go, no borrower contact, I explained my situation out here and asked permission to contact borrower with the guarantee that I would not discuss loan terms on the phone - just the basics so I would be able to fulfill my role as a notary…

I will add one word of advice - during your confirmation call, please avoid stressing all the things you CANNOT do - that tends to put the signers on guard and make them leary of your true ability to get their signing done - basically it just puts the question in their head “if this person can’t do all this why are they coming out here?”

Thank you! That’s what I thought as well. Thankfully, all went well with the signing this time.

1 Like