Help! Please :)

Hi I am a fresh new notary doing my second Refinance Loan Signing. As I was reviewing the docs I noticed the date was predated in the Signature Addendum towards the end of the package. Its dated for the expected closing date, but in Virginia I was sure we could not notarize for future or post-dated documents.

How do I go about completing the notarizations? There were a few other places with the incorrect/future date, not all of them needed to be notarized. I am calling the Signing Service first thing in the morning but for future reference, is this something that’s typically seen? or maybe just an oversight on the Title Company? Does it matter since I will be marking the current date of the signing?

Thank you all for such expert advice!

Call the signing service today not first thing in the morning. Usually docs are date the same day of signing. So verify with SS how they would like you to proceed.
Be blessed.

1 Like

There is a window for dates you should not be concerned about the dates on the docs you should only be concerned with the borrower and you signing the correct dates when they sign and when you notarize😇

1 Like

Yes thats what I understood as well. Some docs were dated for the closing date and some for the current date. But it was like 4am and they weren’t answering the phone of course lol. But i did get it figured out. They just said not to worry about the dates. I ended up calling the lender at the appointment with the signers since they were worried too.

1 Like

Thank you so much! That’s what I assumed from training. I just feel like I haven’t done any general notary work to really know what to expect from these documents. Thank you for that reminder that we are here to verify the signer is recording the date correctly! :smile:

1 Like