Here's A Question

Hi everyone! I have a question about a signing I have tomorrow. I live in GA and I know notarizing a pre or post dated doc is illegal so I don’t. I am not sure about the wording of this one though. It says:
“IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the undersigned have executed this Commercial Promissory Note AS OF FEBRUARY 16, 2022 on (left blank for the signing date), 2022.”
At first I thought it was a typo but after they told me that there were some docs from a previous signing, it’s starting to look more like a post dated situation. What do you think? Should I tell them that I can only notarize it if I change the date or is this a legal loophole? Thank you :grin:

I’m not comissioned in GA but common notary sense would be to not worry about the content of the legal document. You notarize the signatures of the signers, only.

Curious : any other verbiage on the notarization page? This is not enough to assess.

Yes, it has the venue section and then it says, “I certify that on (blank for signing date) 2022, (signer name) came before me in person and stated to my satisfaction that he/she made the attached instrument; and was authorized to and did execute this instrument on behalf of, and (signer name) the entity named in this instrument, as the free act and deed of the company, by virtue of the authority granted by its operating agreement and its members.”

Just to clarify, I just want to know if notarizing this would be like notarizing something post dated. So my focus is on the portion I posted earlier. Thank you.

That is true, I’m not worried about the content of the document. I want to know if the way the date is written could be considered post dating. Thank you.

I think you meant back dated?

My $.02 FWIW it is clear … They acknowledge and signq the note dated XXX date on “current date”

You notarize with current date

1 Like

I have the same thing for tomorrow. My past date was the closing date and it doesn’t change. My notary date can be changed to the date of re-signing on this corrected form.

Thank you all for your help. I finally got in contact with the signing service and they asked me to line through the previous date and fill it in as I normally would.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.