📢 Refinance Applications have plummeted! April, 2022 may be down 40%

:loudspeaker: Refinance Applications have plummeted! March 2022 may be down 40% total vs 2021 slowdown looming. ~@witnesspro

WASHINGTON, D.C. (March 23, 2022) - Mortgage applications decreased 8.1 percent from one week earlier, according to data from the Mortgage Bankers Association’s (MBA) Weekly Mortgage Applications Survey for the week ending March 18, 2022.

The Market Composite Index, a measure of mortgage loan application volume, decreased 8.1 percent on a seasonally adjusted basis from one week earlier. On an unadjusted basis, the Index decreased 8 percent compared with the previous week. The Refinance Index decreased 14 percent from the previous week and was 54 percent lower than the same week one year ago.

All Real Estate is local and some markets may remain hotter then others. Here in Massachusetts, things are drying up fast. ~Adam Pasquale

What are you seeing in your area?

MBA referance
Mortgage Refinance Application Index

3 Likes

We sure felt it for sure…

1 Like

Thankfully I didn’t feel it. March has been my most profitable month since starting part time 9 months ago. I’m actually heading out now to complete 2 refinances in one signing 15 minutes away ! Woot!

7 Likes

Good for you! I am in Massachusetts… an attorney State. We are not permitted to close purchases or sales. Very difficult market as the “refinances” were basically the “bread & butter”. Fortunately, there are other ways to stay profitable. ~Adam

4 Likes

Get that money!!!:dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer:

3 Likes

The signing I have today is a requires an attorney for the first past because that property is in South Carolina. Since I’m in Oklahoma an we are not an attorney state this will be my first one with an attorney on the phone.

3 Likes

For me Feb was my best month. Although my signing appointments were less I still made the same amount of money due to my title companies and did less with SS. I pray the TC will continue to keep me busy

3 Likes

I don’t know how you do it holding down a FT job… my hats go off to you.

3 Likes

Dedication and seniority at work :blush:

4 Likes

Let’s not forget Gods grace :pray:t5::heart:

6 Likes

This business is like SUV sales. Price of gas goes up, sales of SUV’s (big motor vehicles) goes down. But if you live in the mountains, well, you have to suck it up! Location specific!

2 Likes

Yep, God knows what we need and God will provide.

5 Likes

You can do it!, you can do it!

1 Like

I am not getting any calls. Things have slowed up.

3 Likes

I am in Virginia, working full time but still giving almost 80% to my business. I have to say its been very slow having 8 signings a week from my directs to now having maybe 1 a week; rough. I am now doing a lot of GNW. Which has really been great. Missing work with my directs though. Doing a lot of marketing. So when I’m not working my business I am working my full time (from home) as a Recruiter. I believe that its going to pick up again soon.

2 Likes

I’m starting to think things happen in waves… Jan and Feb was very slow for me. March I got crazy busy. I can only guess what April will bring. I’m happy I’m at least starting out with one tomorrow. It better not be an April Fool’s signing :slight_smile:
I hope you start to pick back up soon.

2 Likes

I have been a full time notary for 7 years. I am also a real estate broker for 18 years. I saw a massive opportunity in this industry and basically went full time within 3 months back in 2015. We have not seen duress in this economy since 2008 when lending came to a screeching halt. All the ingredients have reappeared in 2022.

Check this out:

2022 Mortgage Applications weekly vs prior week:
Feb 9th: :arrow_down:8%
Feb 16th: :arrow_down:6%
Feb 23rd: :arrow_down:13%
March 2nd: :arrow_down:1%
March 9th: :arrow_up:8%
March 16th: :arrow_down:1%
March 23rd: :arrow_down:8%
March 30th: :arrow_down:7%

WASHINGTON, D.C. (March 30, 2022) - Mortgage applications decreased 6.8 percent from one week earlier, according to data from the Mortgage Bankers Association’s (MBA) Weekly Mortgage Applications Survey for the week ending March 25, 2022.

The Market Composite Index, a measure of mortgage loan application volume, decreased 6.8 percent on a seasonally adjusted basis from one week earlier. On an unadjusted basis, the Index decreased 6 percent compared with the previous week. The Refinance Index decreased 15 percent from the previous week and was 60 percent lower than the same week one year ago.

5 Likes

I too hope it picks up soon. However, rates are eclipsing 5% soon… the were in the low 3’s 2 months ago. The approval letter for a homebuyer that used to be for $300k is now worth $260k. When the cost of borrowing goes up. Lending slows down.

Check this out:

2022 Mortgage Applications weekly vs prior week:
Feb 9th: :arrow_down:8%
Feb 16th: :arrow_down:6%
Feb 23rd: :arrow_down:13%
March 2nd: :arrow_down:1%
March 9th: :arrow_up:8%
March 16th: :arrow_down:1%
March 23rd: :arrow_down:8%
March 30th: :arrow_down:7%

Some pockets of the country remain hot, most are chilling fast. ~Adam

2 Likes

:100: percent Accurate, Adam. Concur.

:swan:

Keep in mind real estate investment companies depleted inventory significantly nation wide. They took advantage of the low rates, purchased homes in the tens of thousands and converted them into rentals. The conversion of single owner homes into rentals depleted inventory in addition to those buying at the super low rates we saw. The low inventory as a result inflated property prices on what was left (trying to get the desperate homeowners to bite). So to some, yeah 4-5% may still seem low compared to the 2% during the pandemic, but if the house you are looking at is $100k more than it was 2 years ago, there’s that. Then, if the home value inflates, guess what the property taxes did? And don’t get me started on the appraisal process in most areas…As far as REFI’s go? Rates are only going to go up (with everything else), so owners need to “do their business, or get off the pot” in this aspect. Good post!