What am i doing wrong?

Hello group,

What am i doing wrong, because i am not getting signings. Yes i am new notary, but it seems like all the doors i am knocking on, calling clients trying to make connections, but not a single lead. Help please. What can i do different to get those leads.

4 Likes

How long have you been trying? When did you get commissioned? This business takes time. It’s relationship based and that takes time. It is so very rewarding when those doors begin to open. Get business cards and leave them everywhere! Everyone at one point or another needs a Notary. Keep at it like a salesman. Knock 100 times for one door to open. Its tough at first but you can do it. Best of luck, we are rooting for your success!

7 Likes

Thank you Kat for your response. I got commissioned May 11th, From day one i been working on clients, i had 5 signing, but they do not pay the bills when it was from May 20 to now only 5. I have gotten my business cards, i have contacted nursing homes, i have talked to many realtors. i have signed up on snapdocs, Reading some of the conversations i realized it is not what i thought it was. I have also signed up with notary reviews, i am with Thumbtack…they require to spend 150$ for their lowest package. so far not a single direct lead. I see people here in GA very successful, and i am thinking geesh what am i doing wrong.

@gogertadenhart You are in an attorney-only state - you cannot do loan signings as a notary signing agent - only attorneys can perform closings in your state. See page 29 of your handbook

You have a different marketing strategy - you’ll have to market your notary skills to attorney’s offices and other general notary work . But the fact that you’re in an attorney only state is why you’re not getting the number of assignments you expected. Sadly the training platforms don’t tell you this part of your business.

Get your business cards out to hospitals, attorneys, nursing homes and hone your notary public skills - it has been said that notaries in your state can close loans for out of state properties but I’ve not confirmed that.

3 Likes

yes for out of state home loans, i am able to close on them as a loan signing agent. but i am not able to even get any notary work period.
@LindaH-FL who would be best to contact at hospitals for Connection for notary?

1 Like

You need to market market market - and when you’re done, rinse and repeat. It’s hard to get started, especially now. If you do a search here (magnifying glass at top right of forum page) using keyword “newbie” or “new notary” you will be amazed at the number of new people trying to break into this business. It’s going to take diligence and lots of your time to get going - especially where you’re located. Some marketing ideas

Nursing homes
ALFs
Home Health Agencies
Attorneys (especially trust and adoption attorneys)
Doctors’ Offices
Realtors’ Offices
Any Social Service agencies around you.

I used to leave my business cards tacked up on the cork boards in convenience stores.

Take out an ad in your local newspaper (yes people still read those).

Set up a Webpage; set up a FB page; your point is to get your name and services out there…

Good Luck

Social Worker or Ombudsman or Patient Advocate

2 Likes

thank you thank you and thank you!!! your advice means the world.

One more thing - before you start working, get an EIN and NEVER NEVER NEVER give anyone your personal social security number.

4 Likes

Linda, could we possibly speak over the phone? my email is gertadenhartog@gmail.com so we could speak over the phone.

You would be far better off speaking with a notary in your own state or one of the other veterans here who are still active in the business - search here for notaries specifically out of your area as you won’t be their competition. I’ve not done loan signings for 4-5 years and I am not familiar with the various platforms so, in all honesty, would be no help to you at all on that front.

Nothing. Your new and the market is flooded with signing agents. Be patient it will happen. Try signing up with title companies as a vendor, signing agency and such. Try signature closer and notary go…

1 Like

Samantha Smith is a popular mentor, and is a wealth of information for those looking for guidance specifically for the state of Georgia:

1 Like

You can still close loans in the state of GA, as long as the attorney is present or involved.

2 Likes

@rachel4notary you’re in California? Perhaps you should read this thread containing numerous posts from Georgia notaries…

You in California may be able to do it for GA property with simply “attorney involvement” but if it’s a Georgia property closed in Georgia the attorney must do it.

Popular misconception

Keep in mind, even for out of state properties, an attorney must still be present or involved.

I have been a signing agent for 13 years now, back when I first started it was easy to get the signings, but now it is hard to get in the door with the major signing companies. They all want you to have at least 150 signings under your belt. Keep trying to sign up with the Title company’s in your area. Ask them what company’s that they use to do closings for them. I wish you the best.

I’m in CA and have done many Georgia “attorney” signings. They consist of you calling the attorney on the phone with the borrower and tell the attorney that you’re ready to start the signing. The attorney will ask if you need any questions answered. If you say “No, I’ve got this”, they’ll just say “Fine, give me a call back if you have any questions”. For that, they probably get paid 3 or 4 times what the notary (who is doing all of the work) gets paid.

1 Like

Thank you so much !! PMr.Steve , that info is like heaven to my ears… appreciate you so much !! I’m making my list and now I know what to prepare for…again ,thank you kindly!