Must You Complete A Training Course To Get Work?

Hello All,
I have been signed up on many sites for a couple of months now, but I have not received any signings. I have background check done, insurance, NNA Tested completed, and have watched all sorts of video on the different signings.
Do I need to have the completion of a signing course done in order to get work?

1 Like

It will more benefit you than hurt you as many companies look for “trained” NSAs/LSAs - however, that said, your location is key too; if you’re in an oversaturated market (which most places are since Covid hit) you may get more calls but maybe not as many as you want or not as many as you expected, regardless of the amount of training you have obtained.

In the long run it certainly can’t hurt but there are no guarantees.

Good luck

1 Like

I would go back to teach, teachers have strong unions and a steady work really appreciated for everyone specially in these pandemic times, having to complete a training course depends on you, you must be confident to proceed into this business with the tools you already have in your hands, give it a try, then you decide if this career change is worth it.!

I concur with the insights of LindaH-FL & mannie1950 (return to the teaching industry).

Also, there are 2 recent posts by CherylM that leave the sugar-coating behind & Tells-It-Like-It-Is . . .

Truly, anyone entering this business sector needs to change their mindset from that of an employee to that of a Business Owner. It’s a completely different paradigm and is managed differently as well.

Best Wishes with your decision. :sparkles:

3 Likes

Love hearing your success. :clap::raised_hands::+1: You’re doing awesome! Congratulations!

I began my NSA journey last year in April but have only just now started to get calls or texts offering signing opportunities. I now average 5 signings a week. I live in a large metropolitan area with a ton of competition.

I took training courses, paid for memberships, increased my E&O, signed up for all the major directories, introduced myself to local offices but was never offered an opportunity to show my ability to be competent. After about 6 months of expenses and failed efforts I gave up and stopped pursuing it because I was simply bleeding money with no return.

I wish I had a definitive reason to tell you why I am now finally receiving offers but frankly I think it’s only because my membership profiles have started to show age.

Every time I sought out advice on forums like this, I was being told this is a long game, not a quick way to earn substantial income. That’s the best advise I have been given.

The “never take the low-ball $75.00 offers” is one is my biggest frustrations because while I understand why we should not be paid less than a $100; if I say no to those offers, I will never make any money at this.

Best of luck to you and I hope your successes happen sooner than later.

1 Like

@chilke64 => Truly, the answer is: “Well, that depends.”

What is your background?
Do you have experience in Real Estate?
Do you have experience in Mortgage Lending?
Do you have experience in Banking?

Etc. ad nauseam . . . => just know that you’re launching a business and the onus is upon you to create the best foundation possible from the onset. See this thread for additional information:

Most newbies find they’re ill-prepared if they’ve only successfully completed the NNA certification as a certified notary signing agent [CNSA]. See my notes about this topic within the following thread:

======

My personal experience:
When I initially started performing this work, I successfully completed MULTIPLE training/certification programs including Notary2Pro & NNA and many others. I have extensive experience in skill sets that require certification and recurrent evaluation tests; i.e., I’ve maintained my Project Management Professional [PMP] certification for more than 20 years. So, I understand what it usually entails and the elements that should be included within a comprehensive training program.

Regarding the NNA training specifically, it’s lacking across multiple topics & categories. Many NNA “graduates” choose to take additional training courses elsewhere, because they sense they’re insufficiently prepared. Their primer has errors throughout. Their hotline is less than reliable for accurate responses.

In my experience with undergoing the multiple training programs for certified notary signing agent [CNSA] certification, hands-down without question, Carol Ray’s Notary2Pro training programs are optimum in this industry. I’ve successfully completed ALL of the multiple training/certification programs that Carol offers through her company Notary2Pro. Her programs are thorough & detailed. These also prepare the business owner to operate a business. In addition, she offers Mentoring services. I found those to be excellent & INVALUABLE when I was initially starting out in this business sector. The prices are surprisingly reasonable. :white_check_mark:

I’ve professionally compared the training/certification programs available at Notary2Pro with the others I’ve successfully completed. The ONLY training/certification program I recommend is Notary2Pro.

A list of companies that hire Notary2Pro graduates (with minimal or no experience) is provided to successful course graduates. => This list is pure GOLD! Study up, refresh your notes, & let Carol know when your initial few signings are scheduled. She is a wonderful mentor & can be on standby in case you encounter difficulties or have questions during your first few signings. She’s the Best! Her support will help you Build your Confidence in providing this service. :trophy::white_check_mark:

In addition, Notary2Pro works diligently to keep this list up-to-date regarding vetting and viability. As we all know, some reliable clients can encounter financial difficulties and that, in turn, can negatively impact CNSAs directly.

Of course, your best bet would be to visit their website at https://www.notary2pro.com/ , research, and make the choices appropriate for your situation. The training programs by Carol Ray are comprehensive & thorough. :sparkles::tada::sunglasses:

P.S. I receive no compensation or remuneration of any type or kind as a result of my first-hand experiential review above.

Again, best Wishes with your decision. :sparkles:

I’ve noticed, in my region (Central Texas), the economy is running on the hot side. This means those who got into this business for economic survival during Covid are returning to the regular work force. I’m seeing fewer ‘new’ notaries entering the business. The crowd is beginning to thin, reducing supply and increasing the number of signings and well as a slight increase in fees.

I’ve also noticed a the professors at 6-Figure University are pitching their ‘How to Succeed’ publications and less emphasis on their training. Since the 6-Figure promises have failed to materialize, my hypothesis is many have dropped out of the business.

4 Likes

[quote=“lajefa, post:7, topic:30734”]
profiles have started to show age
[/quote] Spot on

Unfortunately, you won’t make money accepting these either. Sadly, with few exceptions, this field has become a race to the bottom as more enter the field, spending lots to do so, and trying to get something back by accepting crap fees–just gives 'em more reason to keep offering less and less. All while interest rates are rising…making a smaller pie with more people wanting a slice. This well has run dry.

2 Likes

I would expect that your experience is common among newer notaries,sadly. I would say that it depends on where you are in the process and your goals for this profession.
My experience: I had no experience in Real Estate, other than as a buyer. No experience in Mortgage Lending except as a consumer of services, and my experience as a banker had been 30 years prior as a Human Resources manager. So, as far as preparation for this industry, I had none. But, I am a researcher who worked in science. Both skills that require attention to detail, self-direction, and understanding of your product. But, with an earlier refi loan, when the notary left I knew I could do that job and I planned to do it as a retirement part-time job. Six months before I retired I began planning for becoming a CNSA (already had a notary certificate to assist a lawyer friend in her company on occasion). I looked at the forms in my own refi packet and looked them up to study what they were and how they were used. Then, when I felt ready, I paid for and took the NNA certificate exam. I then requested of an acquaintance if I could shadow them for a couple months to see the process up close, which I did. I took the slow train to competence and it took me six months before I felt prepared enough for going it alone.
But, if you have just jumped into this without the time to devote to that kind of slow study, then training courses may help you fast track the process. But, I can guarantee you that those courses will not be the be all, end all to your understanding of this profession. You will encounter situations and challenges that you can only experience in the real world. But with training you can be somewhat prepared rather than not prepared at all. I cannot provide you with recommendations, as I have had no conventional training courses. So, yes training can be useful, but is is not necessarily required.
The assessment is yours to make for yourself. Good luck.

5 Likes

@carmela.p.notary Welcome to the Notary Cafe forum! :sparkles: This thread may be a helpful to you as a newbie/New Notary Cafe member.

Here is another helpful thread!

:swan:

@vanzornink Welcome to the Notary Cafe forum! :sparkles: This post (above) may be a helpful to you as a newbie/New Notary Cafe member.

======

FYI: My personal experience:
When I initially started performing this work, I successfully completed MULTIPLE training/certification programs including Notary2Pro & NNA and many others. I have extensive experience in skill sets that require certification and recurrent evaluation tests; i.e., I’ve maintained my Project Management Professional [PMP] certification for more than 20 years. So, I understand what it usually entails and the elements that should be included within a comprehensive training program.

Regarding the NNA training specifically, it’s lacking across multiple topics & categories. Many NNA “graduates” choose to take additional training courses elsewhere, because they sense they’re insufficiently prepared. Their primer has errors throughout. Their hotline is less than reliable for accurate responses.

In my experience with undergoing the multiple training programs for professional signing agent [PSA] certification, hands-down without question, Carol Ray’s Notary2Pro training programs are optimum in this industry. I’ve successfully completed ALL of the multiple training/certification programs that Carol offers through her company Notary2Pro. Her programs are thorough & detailed. These also prepare the business owner to operate a business. In addition, she offers Mentoring services. I found those to be excellent & INVALUABLE when I was initially starting out in this business sector. The prices are surprisingly reasonable. :white_check_mark:

I’ve professionally compared the training/certification programs available at Notary2Pro with the others I’ve successfully completed. The ONLY training/certification program I recommend is Notary2Pro.

A list of companies that hire Notary2Pro graduates (with minimal or no experience) is provided to successful course graduates. => This list is pure GOLD! Study up, refresh your notes, & let them know when your initial few signings are scheduled. They are wonderful mentors & can be on standby in case you encounter difficulties or have questions during your first few signings. They’re the Best! Their support will help you Build your Confidence in providing this service. :trophy::white_check_mark:

In addition, Notary2Pro works diligently to keep this list up-to-date regarding vetting and viability. As we all know, some reliable clients can encounter financial difficulties and that, in turn, can negatively impact PSAs directly.

Of course, your best bet would be to visit their website at https://www.notary2pro.com/ , research, and make the choices appropriate for your situation. The training programs by Carol Ray’s training & certification programs are comprehensive & thorough. :sparkles::tada::sunglasses:

P.S. I receive no compensation or remuneration of any type or kind as a result of my first-hand experiential review above.

:swan: